ABANDONED MIDWEST - IOWA

Klondike Mill - Klondike, Iowa

Click HERE to view full photo gallery.

KLONDIKE, IOWA

Klondike, Iowa was a small town that lie along the Big Sioux river. It consisted of a Flour Mill, a General Store and a Dance Hall. This area is now known as Larchwood, Iowa and only traces of Klondike can be found. There is no record as to how or when Klondike, Iowa vanished from existence and no census count was ever recorded from the town. 

Klondike Bridge - Klondike, Iowa

A bridge built for the town in 1901 was unable to handle the interstate traffic between South Dakota and Iowa. In 1913 The Western Bridge and Construction Company of Omaha began constructing what is now known as the Klondike Bridge. The bridge structure was completed in late 1914 and opened to traffic in January of 1915. The Klondike Bridge carried interstate traffic between Iowa and South Dakota until 1977. The Klondike Bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. Though closed to auto traffic this bridge remains a popular spot for locals to fish and explore.

Old Sight of Klondike Dam - Klondike, Iowa

The Klondike Mill Dam was built in 1883 of stones encased in concrete. The damn was replaced in 2012 with 9 arched boulder rapids which allow fish to get further up river and better stabilize water levels during dry seasons. 

Klondike / Kruger Flour Mill

Klondike Mill also known as Kruger Mill was a large Flour Mill built by German-born Christian Kruger who moved to the Larchwood, Iowa area in 1883. When he left the area only a few years later his sons August and Lou operated the mill until 1922 it was then sold to J.H. Rowe & Son of Canton, South Dakota and records show the mill in operation until 1899. The Klondike Mill was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. 



Click HERE to see full Abandoned Mid-West Iowa Photo Gallery

Powered by SmugMug Owner Log In